Monday, April 11, 2011

The Impossible Girl


^ A photograph from Kim's first residency at The Empress on April 6th.

Kim Boekbinder is definitely the Impossible Girl; a performer, musician and visual artist with a new project under her belt as well as a tour with various shows around Australia during April and beyond.

I was lucky enough to be able to have a little chat with Kim.

You are based in various locations, but where do you call home?
I would also like to know the answer to that question. I love too many places to call just one of them 'home'. But I know I'll be spending a lot of time in Melbourne, Australia and in New York City.

What has inspired you to dabble in various areas of the arts? Have you always wanted to create music & art?
I've always been intensely creative. I'm always making art, always thinking about it, always humming new songs, drawing new things, tearing napkins into shapes, creating sculptures out of leaves or whatever is in front of me. Art is everywhere and is everything for me. The medium isn't as important as the expression. I make music now, mostly, but I could just as easily be a sculptor, or film maker, or writer.

Your music is quite whimsical & dreamy, where do you find the inspiration behind it?
Like a sea anemone I let the inspiration swim close and then snap it up and devour it. Sometimes I get nothing; sometimes I get a delicious song.

What can we expect from your upcoming shows?
Amazing costumes (from Rose Chong Costumes,) amazing songs, new set lists every night, stories, new instruments, and new musical guests. And to be carried away in the moment.

I Have Your Heart is one of your latest ventures with artist Molly Crabapple and Melbourne based animator Jim Batt, how did this come about?
Molly and I have collaborated on and off for the past couple of years. She's an amazing artist and an amazing person, we get along so well personally and artistically that we are always trying to think of new things to do just so we can keep being around each other. With both of us so busy we can spend more time together if it's also "work." Molly and I knew we wanted to do an animation together. We asked the internet to provide us with an animator and Jim Batt applied for the job.

How do you find the time for all of your adventures?
I have NO IDEA. I think I must have a small time factory hidden in my suitcases somewhere. I never feel like I'm getting enough done, but then when I look back I see a pretty intensely packed schedule and a lot of art produced.

Where is the impossible girl heading next?
Mars!

For everything impossible & more information about Kim's upcoming shows visit: kimboekbinder.com

No comments: